Current:Home > FinanceAudio obtained from 911 call for Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin -Capitatum
Audio obtained from 911 call for Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 15:59:50
Audio of the 911 call made on behalf of Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin on Jan. 1 reveals that Austin's staff encouraged the dispatcher to keep the ambulance presence "subtle" as the secretary was taken to the hospital due to complications from surgery for prostate cancer.
CBS News obtained the audio through a public information request to the Fairfax County Department of Public Safety Communications. The Daily Beast first reported the contents of the call.
"I'm requesting an ambulance to be taken [redacted]," the caller tells the dispatcher.
"Can I ask that, can the ambulance not show up with lights and sirens? We're trying to remain a little subtle," the caller adds.
The caller asks the dispatcher if it's possible to take Austin to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
Much of the call is redacted, including the caller's name, Austin's symptoms and Austin's name.
Austin's failure to report his hospitalization — which included time in the intensive care unit — to the White House and his failure to disclose to President Biden that he had prostate cancer have become a public lesson in how not to handle a crisis in Washington. President Biden last week said that "yes," Austin showed a lapse in judgment in failing to tell him about the situation sooner.
- Timeline: Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin's hospitalization
Austin was only released from the hospital on Monday, two weeks after he was taken in an ambulance to Walter Reed to address an infection related to the surgery. Austin underwent an initial surgery to treat and cure prostate cancer on Dec. 22, unbeknownst to the White House.
Austin's doctors in a statement released by the Pentagon on Monday said Austin is "expected to make a full recovery."
Eleanor WatsonEleanor Watson is a CBS News reporter covering the Pentagon.
TwitterveryGood! (19)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Madagascar’s incumbent President Rajoelina takes early lead in vote marked by boycott, low turnout
- New Godzilla show 'Monarch: Legacy of Monsters' poses the question: Menace or protector?
- The Paris Olympics scales back design of a new surf tower in Tahiti after criticism from locals
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Drain covers inspected after damaged one halts Las Vegas Grand Prix practice
- Iowa's evangelical voters have propelled candidates to victory in Iowa in the past. Will they stick with Trump?
- South Dakota tribe to declare state of emergency due to rampant crime on reservation
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Billie Eilish Says She Never Felt Truly Like a Woman
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- What to know about grand jury evidence on actor Alec Baldwin and the 2021 fatal film set shooting
- Charissa Thompson responds to backlash after admitting making up NFL sideline reports
- Virginia state senator who recently won reelection faces lawsuit over residency requirement
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- What's Making Us Happy: A guide to your weekend viewing and listening
- French commission wants to remove statute of limitations for sexual violence against children
- Is Alexa listening for ads? How your smart assistant may be listening to you
Recommendation
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Donald Glover says fans will be 'shocked' by 'Mr. & Mrs. Smith' TV series
Is Thanksgiving officially out? Why Martha Stewart canceled her holiday dinner
Escaped murderer back in court over crimes authorities say he committed while on the run
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
First person charged under Australia’s foreign interference laws denies working for China
Ohio Catholic priest gets life sentence for sex-trafficking convictions
Alexa PenaVega Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby No. 4 With Carlos PenaVega